Friday, April 15, 2016

The ‘switch-story’ with Colin Munro

The Eden Gardens is lit up and the Kolkata Knight Riders are going full throttle in their practice session. In one corner Andre Russell and Yusuf Pathan are giving the white ball a sound thrashing. Coach Jacques Kallis is keeping a keen watch over the nets and alongside him is New Zealand’s Colin Munro. He is having a chat with his ‘cricketing idol’, someone he admired growing up as a young kid in South Africa. “He is one of my biggest cricketing idols. In my opinion he is probably the world’s best all-rounder and the best cricketer the world has ever seen,” Munro says as we take a seat beside the boundary ropes.

He goes on to talk about Kallis with a glint in his eye and in the same breath says, “My intention is to become an all-rounder, not just a batsman who can bowl a couple of overs here and there. I want to be a fine all-rounder and I am working on it really hard. I have had some good interactions with Jacques about playing in different situations and going about my routines. Sometimes I can just go to the nets and have a bit of a slog and feel happy. Sometimes it is about going out there with a specific target that you want to work on. It is nice to have him behind the nets and give me inputs.”

Munro realizes he has walked into the IPL with a reputation of being a big-hitter. After all, he has the record for the second-fastest fifty in international cricket (second only to Yuvraj Singh); against Sri Lanka at Eden Park in Auckland early in January this year he scored a half-century that came off just 14 balls. “I have always had hard-hitting abilities because I don’t have the greatest technique to hang around for too long. I have to try and score my runs really quickly,” he says with a reassuring smile. “But I am working on hitting the ball in different areas and to be able to soak up pressure,” he quickly adds. “You don’t have to always hit the ball over the ropes. I am working really hard to try and build an innings which is something I did during a couple of T20 World Cup games.”

The T20 World Cup saw Munro’s inventive and daring stroke-play. His reverse smash for a six against India and the switch cut and a switch dab against Australia and Pakistan got everyone talking. Not that he hadn’t done it in the past in a few games back home where bowlers have been completely dumb founded by his ability to execute the switch hit to perfection. “The first time I saw someone play the switch hit was in an India-Australia game. I saw David Warner playing it in SCG where he just turned around and hit R Ashwin over long on (for the right-hander) for a six. I also saw Kevin Pietersen executing it a few times to good effect. That is when I thought why not I give it a go. I just stumbled across it in a club game as well where I was finding it hard to get the spinner away. He brought up his fielder at point and I thought why not I just turn around and hit it right-handed? It worked and since then it has been a shot that I have progressed on.”

But is it all planned in his head before going for the switch hit or is it pure instinct? “It is a hundred percent pre-meditation,” pat comes the reply. “It is a shot that I am looking to hit for a six. If it is not there to be hit and it is outside of my eye line then I can play it for a late cut or try and keep along the ground if it is a very short ball. Against someone that is really quick, I would probably put it away but it depends a lot on the wicket. If it is a really good wicket then I wouldn’t play it as often. If it is a slow turning wicket where it is hard to rotate the strike then I would use the switch hit as a boundary option. You want the ball coming on to your bat a little bit so you can just hit through the line. I am also working on a switch hit that will help keep the ball along the ground and doesn’t get me out often. It is a work in progress and we will see how it goes.”

Munro felt his fondness to play hockey helped him in executing the switch hit to good effect. “Hockey plays a big part in my power game. It helps my switch hit and when it comes to sweeping the ball. The natural hand-eye coordination in hockey helps me with my batting. It helps me to get my hands to the ball a lot quicker as well. It is about getting really low to the ground and in hockey you are horizontal the whole time in terms of getting the stick down to your ground and having a steady motion whether you are passing or taking a stroke to strike a goal. It is all in one motion.”

Though happy to play the switch hit, Munro wants to keep his options open and not go big on improving just one aspect of his game. “I don’t practice it often at the nets. Obviously you want to evolve your game once you come to India and learn to play with the straight bat first and hit the ball down the ground and be open to other options. The switch hit is always there but against wrist spinners I want to get into good positions and look nice and solid. I want to rotate the strike, understand the pace of the wicket and look to hit over the ropes.”

As we continue to talk about hard-hitting batsmen around the world, Munro flips back the years and speaks about how he wants to hit the ball like the former South African all-rounder Lance Klusener. “Lance Klusener was right up there when it came to hitting the ball hard. He could just stand still and hit the ball straight and hard. He didn’t move his feet a heck of a lot but he could hit them really hard. It is just about standing still and trusting the preparations that you have done leading into your game and getting your hands through the ball as hard as you can. He was a big hitting left-hander and bowled good medium pace with nice change up deliveries. I want to model my bowling on those lines.”

Talking about his current contemporaries he says, “Chris Gayle has to be there. When he hits sixes they just don’t go over the ropes, they go into the second or third tier of the stands. Then you have Kieron Pollard, Andre Russell and Carlos Brathwaite who can hit the ball soaring into the stands. Most of the West Indian boys are big and strong and can hit them far. I don’t think you need to be big and strong to hit sixes but it definitely helps. To hit the ball continuously over 90 meters being strong definitely helps. There are plenty of guys who hit the ball hard like Corey Anderson and Jos Buttler. You have guys who hit the ball hard, but you also have guys who can time the ball really well as well. By all means I am not the biggest or the hardest hitter of the cricket ball,” he chuckles.

Munro believes over the years he has developed as a player and is beginning to come to terms with his own game. He wants to make the most of this IPL experience and use it to nurture his game and become a better cricketer. “In the past I would just go out there, whack it and get a good 20 or 30 and be happy with myself. But I think I have progressed to be a better player than that. For me to be successful I need to bat for longer which means I don’t take those risks early on. I want to build an innings and capitalise on it. Ideally on a good wicket, I would want to generate a healthy strike-rate early on in the innings. It is about reading situations and playing on merit.

“It is good to be alongside some great guys in the KKR setup. I am also getting some help from Gautam Gambhir who is one of the best players of spin in the world. I am trying to pick his brain on boundary options and the way he can play off the backfoot to cut into gaps and rotate the strike. I am trying to develop some different slower balls as well and it is a work in progress along with Wasim Akram.”
source-iplt20
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment